Information for Coaches

Have a concern about a student-athlete?  Numerous entities on campus provide academic guidance and promote student wellness.  (See the links to the right for further resources.)

The Office of the Dean of the College is the body that oversees all aspects of the undergraduate academic experience at Princeton.  Within that office, Alec Dun is the dean in charge of academic-athletic affairs.

Each student-athlete is a member of one of Princeton's six residential colleges (Butler, Forbes, Mathey, Rockefeller, Whitman, or Wilson).  Each college is staffed by a dean, director of studies, and a director of student life.

  • The residential college dean oversees academic affairs and student life for the entire college community.  The dean consults regularly with residential college staff to stay informed about all student concerns, but directly advises junior and senior students.
  • The residential college director of studies ("DoS") is responsible for providing academic guidance to all students, but is primarily responsible for first-years and sophomores.

Both deans and directors of study support students across a range of academic issues, including course selection, major choice, add/drop and PDF questions, formal approval of course extensions for student illness or family emergencies, arrangement of tutoring and study skills consultations, and coordination of campus academic resources.

  • The residential college director of student life ("DSL") is responsible for supporting and enhancing the undergraduate residential and co-curricular experience of students of any class year who are affiliated with the college.  The DSL supports students around health and wellness issues and oversees the Residential College Adviser ("RCA") program within the college.  The DSL also upholds expectations for good citizenship through conflict resolution and the investigation and adjudication of disciplinary matters.

Student-athletes receive individual academic counsel from their academic advisers, who help them select courses, find academic support, and deal with any issues or concerns.  Over their first two years, these advisers are faculty members who are affiliated with the student's residential college.  Students also benefit by talking to peer academic advisers ("PAA"), junior and senior students in their college (many of whom are student-athletes) who are trained to offer advice on a range of academic issues from a student perspective. 

After students have selected their major, their academic adviser is a faculty member in that department.  (Each department also designates a faculty member as departmental representative, who is available for general queries about curricular issues in the department.)

Finally, student-athletes and coaches confronting academic issues can also turn to an academic-athletic fellow.  These faculty members are affiliated with particular teams and collectively serve as a student-athlete support group.  Their mission is to strengthen and reinforce the ties between a student's academic and athletic pursuits and to act as a resource for the student-athletes, coaches, academic administrators, and faculty.

Academic and Educational Resources

Numerous sources of academic support exist on campus.  Far from simply being sources of "extra help," these centers are places used by Princeton's strongest students to ensure they make the most of the University's academic offerings.

McGraw Center

Located on the second floor of Frist Campus Center, the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning is a teaching and learning resource center open to every person in the campus community.  The center offers group study sessions for most introductory STEM and quantitative problem-solving courses (including ECO and Stats), one-on-one tutoring, and individual learning consultations on topics including time management, procrastination, learning styles, and speed reading.  McGraw also offers frequent workshops for students throughout the semester and will develop them for teams or groups of students.  The contact person for these services is Senior Associate Director Nic Voge.

For a video introducing the McGraw Center, click here.

Writing Center

The Writing Center offers support for student writers across the disciplines.  Located in New South, the center offers free, one-on-one conferences with "Writing Fellows" who are trained to respond to assignments for any course and at any point in the process.  While classes are in session, regular appointment hours are Sundays through Thursdays, from 9AM to 11PM and Fridays and Saturdays from 9AM to 6PM.  Drop-in hours are on Sundays through Thursdays from 7 to 11PM.  Students who are struggling with writing may request a regular weekly appointment with a Writing Center Fellow.  For further information, contact Associate Director Gen Creedon.

To make a Writing Center appointment, click here.

For a video introducing the Writing Center, click here.

Office of Undergraduate Research

Located on the 3rd floor of 36 University Place, the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is designed to inform, engage, connect, and support undergraduates on matters related to research at Princeton.  In addition to providing research opportunities for first- and second-year students, its offerings provide many resources for juniors and seniors working on their JPs and theses.

To get in touch, write to, or use WASE to set up an appointment with Director Dr. Pascale Poussart or Program Coordinator Crystal Arrington.

Student Wellness Resources

University Health Services (UHS) includes both medical and counseling and psychological services.  It is located in McCosh Health Center (McCosh).

Medical Services

McCosh provides comprehensive medical services for all students, including acute medical services, inpatient services (during academic schedule), travel medicine, sexual health and wellness, and athletic medicine services (physicians and sports dietitian). 

  • Regular appointment hours:
    • Mondays and Wednesdays, 8:45 AM to 6:45 PM
    • Tuesdays, 10 AM to 4:45 PM
    • Thursdays and Fridays, 8:45 AM to 4:45 PM
    • Saturdays, 9 AM to 3:30 PM.
  • Appointments can be made by calling (609) 258-3141 or online by clicking here.
  • Emergency medical services are available 24/7 during the school year by calling 911 or Public Safety at (609) 258-3333.
    • Please also inform the Director of Athletics at (609) 258-3535 and the Director of Athletic Medicine at (609) 258-8471.

Student-athletes also have access to Athletic Medicine through the Athletic Training staff at Caldwell and Dillon, and Sports Medicine Physicians are available at UHS and Caldwell.  Caldwell Athletic Trainer visits and Sports Physician appointments can be made by calling (609) 258-3527.

Counseling Services

Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) is located in McCosh Health Center.

CPS clinicians are available 24/7 during the school year to respond to urgent matters:

  • FOR COUNSELING ASSISTANCE DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR (Including to help a student make a regular appointment):  Monday through Friday, 8:45AM to 4:45PM, CALL (609) 258-3141.  If the matter is urgent, tell the front desk staff person when you call or come in, and you will be connected right away with a clinician. If you are concerned about the safety or immediate well-being of a student, call Public Safety to request to speak with the Dean on Call or for a Public Safety escort at (609) 258-3333. 
  • FOR URGENT ASSISTANCE AFTER HOURS DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR: Monday through Friday from 4:45PM to 8:45AM and on weekends, CALL (609) 258-3141 to speak to the on-call clinician, have Public Safety escort the student to McCosh or walk the student to McCosh.
  • The Infirmary at McCosh is closed during the winter break.  During that period after hours, a CPS Counselor may be reached by calling 609-258-3141 (but students cannot be walked to the Infirmary for urgent support after hours during that time). 
  • Faculty, staff, parents, coaches, and other students may call the Director of Student Life or CPS at (609) 258-3141 with concerns about a student and/or for advice on how to respond to a student in need. 

(excerpted from Recognizing & Responding to Students in Distress. Prepared by Princeton University Counseling & Psychological Services. Fall, 2017.)

Coaches can also discuss concerns regarding mental health issues with team physicians who can help expedite and/or connect students to CPS providers. 

For a video introducing CPS, click here.

Concussion Protocol

CONCUSSION Policies and Procedures: For questions or concerns about the full concussion protocol, please consult with treating physician and athletic trainer. Athletic Medicine (609) 258-3527 (Caldwell Fieldhouse) or (609) 258-8471 (Director of Athletic Medicine).

For the full concussion protocol, click here.

If one of your student-athletes demonstrates any signs or symptoms of concussion, please remove them from play (if during practice/game) and contact your athletic trainer and Athletic Medicine/treating physician. If student is unresponsive, complains of increasing or severe headache or is worsening, call Public Safety at (609)-258-3333 or 911. If the student is stable, have student (accompanied) go to McCosh to be seen immediately.

NCAA Concussion Resources (Including Fact Sheet for Coaches):

Deans Emergency Fund

The Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students provides financial support to high financial need students in the event of an emergency, necessary and critical medical care, or to travel home for a family emergency.  This fund is restricted to medical or travel emergencies, and does not include the purchase of personal items, such as clothes, computers, etc.  The Office of Financial Aid creates financial aid packages, appropriate to individual student needs that include allocations for travel home during breaks, expenses for personal items, and other non-emergency expenses.  Students can schedule a time to meet with their Director of Student Life or with Associate Dean Mellisa Thompson to request funding.